A question that is being poised by scientists worldwide: What would happen if bees went extinct? Without bees, there is a commonly held scientific theory that the world would struggle to sustain the global human population of 7 billion. It would mean a lot more than fewer stings and breakfast options. Our supermarkets and local corner grocery stores would have half the amount of fruits and vegetables. Bees pollinate 70 of around 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world. Honeybees are responsible for $30 billion a year in crops.
As far as important species go, bees are at the top of the list. Honeybees:
- Are important pollinators
- Under threat worldwide
- Can be kept in a bee box
- Are most active in spring and summer
- Produce honey.
Together, we can #savethebees
Oji-Bee Honey Co will take the guesswork out of how to get started. The BEE POD in its simplicity and design is tailor-made for new backyard beekeepers. In our first year, we will only sell seven (7) units on a first-come, first-served basis. We will build a wooden platform that houses two bee boxes, one wooden bench, and chain link fencing & gate. The total area covered by the bee pod is 10’ x 16’ x 6’.
We recommend that you order your honeybees and/ or established nucs from a reputable source. Two places that may be able to supply you with honeybees are: a) Peavey Mart in Winnipeg, MB; b) Westman Honeybee Producers in Brandon, MB. For other sources, please refer to your local beekeeping club for their best advice. We will install the BEE POD between May 17th and June 7th, weather permitting.
For the spring of 2022, this offer is only good for ‘backyard beeks’ who live within a 100km radius of Naotkamegwanning First Nation.
We will deliver and install the BEE POD.
Some conditions apply:
- The area must be clear and level.
- The area must not be obstructed in any way.
- The area must be accessible. Four people must be able to carry the largest piece of the BEE POD (measuring 10’ x 16’) to the place that the BEE POD will sit in situ.
- The area must be able to support four corners with concrete pads and aggregate on each corner, for a level base on which to install the wooden platform.
- The area must be accessible by road. No exceptions.
To help you nurture and maintain a healthy honeybee hive, we will share three videos (likely on YouTube) from May through to October that will include helpful hints on how to:
- Install your nucs and/ or honeybees/ queen bee
- Feed the bees
- Regularly open your hives and inspect the colony
- Check and treat for mites and other pests
- Put the honeybees to sleep for the winter months