The Naotkamegwanning First Nation established a new business corporation in the fall of 2019. The business corporation is looking for community members (age of majority) to join the Board of Directors and in that regard, we are seeking five new members.
Interested applicants should have experience in business, public relations, finance, communications or marketing. The Board’s focus is on governance, planning, policy-making and leading the strategic direction. The ideal candidates will have the time to offer meaningful contributions, and the skill-set, expertise and experience necessary to guide the organization through its growth and development.
The Board of Directors meets quarterly to review the performance of the Business Corporation’s management across all divisions and provides insights and recommendations for achieving the resilient growth and continuous prosperity needed in a circular, local economy.
New Directors will be expected to actively participate in Board training sessions and it is expected that this commitment will require six sessions (likely online) for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours per session with a facilitator that will lead the process.
The Board of Directors is the governing authority for the Business Corporation of Naotkamegwanning First Nation.
A DIRECTOR is expected to be fully informed on organizational matters and participate in the Board’s deliberations and decisions in matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy. Directors must:
- Safeguard the organizational mission and ensure the stability of the business corporation
- Establish its direction and objectives
- Ensure that it has adequate information to monitor major areas of CEO and corporate performance
- Ensure the proper and prudent management of the business corporation
- Ensure the achievement of the organization’s mission
- Secure input of community to strategic direction
- Monitor and audit performance of the CEO. The Board is not involved in the day-to-day operations of the Business Corporation and as such is a governing Board not a management Board
- Be accountable to Chief & Council and the members of the community for the performance of the corporation; and,
- Ensure systematic connections with other organizations engaged in the pursuit of similar or related objectives, and with the community at large.
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
The Board, as a whole, in discharging its responsibilities for the governance of the Corporation, oversees the management of the Corporation’s finances. It ensures the proper and adequate discharge of this duty through it Secretary/ Treasurer, acting on behalf of and reporting to the Board.
As a member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the socio-economic health of the community and is responsible for the effective governance of the business corporation. Requirements of Board members include:
- Commitment to the objectives of the business corporation
- Knowledge and skills in line with the mandate, mission, vision, and guiding principles of Naotkamegwanning Business Corporation
- Willingness to sit on working committees
- Attendance at Board meetings
- Attendance at Annual General Meetings
BOARD MEMBERS TERM
To ensure continuity, three of the seven Board members will serve a 3-year term and the other four Board members will serve a 2-year term: with a maximum of two consecutive terms. In this way, new Board members will be able to benefit by serving with DIRECTORS who have knowledge and expertise in governance, policy, and matters of the Board. The terms for the DIRECTORS will be: September 2021 through to September 2023 AND/OR September 2021 through to September 2024.
BUSINESSES UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF THE CORPORATION INCLUDE:
- Paagitoon Janitorial Services
- Asinike Drilling
- Wiisinin Café
- Oji-Bee Honey Co
- Tricksters Coffee Co (under development)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Friday, September 3rd, 2021 at 2pm
Please complete the CALL FOR APPLICATIONS by answering the questions below and pressing “SEND”. In addition, please submit the following (cover letter, resume and three references) by completing the fields attached in the online form. If you have any questions, please address them by email to: [email protected] well before the submission deadline.
President | Naotkamegwanning Business Corporation
1800 Pawitik Street | Pawitik, ON | P0X 1L0
All applicants will be notified of the results, in a follow-up email, no later than September 30, 2021.